1. Did you go to sleep away camp, or day camp, as a child? Wish you could? Or sometimes wish you hadn't?
Yes, I went to camp at 6 years old. Not too great, But from 7 years to 14, I went to a camp with a friend and loved it. We learned about nature, the star formations, cooking out, swimming, boating, canoeing, crafts. Of course, we had singing and made a record too. I have it and finally put it on tape because I haven't a record player I can hook up. Easier to carry too. We had christmas each camp and made gifts...I always got sick...too much rich pudding.
2. How about camping out? Dream vacation, nightmare, or somewhere in between?
We did camp out at camp. we went to an small island,,,called Dead Man's Island. I was on a bit of a hill and woke in the morning with the foot of my sleeping almost in the water.
As an adult I never got to camp out....too bad. I'd find it pretty hard now.
3. Have you ever worked as a camp counselor, or been to a camp for your denomination for either work or pleasure?
Not as a counselor, though took the training. I needed to make a little money for school, so worked in the kitchen as an assistant cook for three years, then for one year as the Business Assistant. So, I looked after the Tuck Shop, see that the water got tested, etc.
4. Most dramatic memory of camp, or camping out?
Two actually: one we were sleeping out and I so wanted to watch the sun rise...the few minutes it took to do that, I slept! Rats!
Second: was on the same 'mountain' (after working out west I knew this was not quite a 'mountain')..and we were picking blueberries, then I heard a rusling not far away...20 feet?, and there was a bear sitting there, also picking blueberries. We looked at each other, then went back to picking..blueberries. Go figure!..and no where to go either. Looked up about 15 minutes later...... bear gone! Show no fear!
5. What is your favorite camp song or songs? Bonus points if you link to a recording or video.
Wow!! We sang a lot..at both camps. I love campfires and the singing is so full and rich. Land of the silver birch ...that's a good one. Also, How Great Thou Art. And many more.
PS I was at a camp north of here and we had a Sacred Fire the whole time. As we closed the Sacred Fire, after the Fire Keepers taught us at times throughout the conference...a lone eagle approached, the large bald eagle, flew lower and circled our gathering....then flew on its way. I haven't seen an eagle in decades.
I know this was a Conference, but we were at a camp, and this had to be the most spine tingling experience of the presence of my Creator...seen by all who stood there....in awe.
The Eagle flew on the Sunday before the Government of Canada gave their Apology for the Residential Schools. And the Moderator watched with us all...standing in awe and wonder.
Yes, I went to camp at 6 years old. Not too great, But from 7 years to 14, I went to a camp with a friend and loved it. We learned about nature, the star formations, cooking out, swimming, boating, canoeing, crafts. Of course, we had singing and made a record too. I have it and finally put it on tape because I haven't a record player I can hook up. Easier to carry too. We had christmas each camp and made gifts...I always got sick...too much rich pudding.
2. How about camping out? Dream vacation, nightmare, or somewhere in between?
We did camp out at camp. we went to an small island,,,called Dead Man's Island. I was on a bit of a hill and woke in the morning with the foot of my sleeping almost in the water.
As an adult I never got to camp out....too bad. I'd find it pretty hard now.
3. Have you ever worked as a camp counselor, or been to a camp for your denomination for either work or pleasure?
Not as a counselor, though took the training. I needed to make a little money for school, so worked in the kitchen as an assistant cook for three years, then for one year as the Business Assistant. So, I looked after the Tuck Shop, see that the water got tested, etc.
4. Most dramatic memory of camp, or camping out?
Two actually: one we were sleeping out and I so wanted to watch the sun rise...the few minutes it took to do that, I slept! Rats!
Second: was on the same 'mountain' (after working out west I knew this was not quite a 'mountain')..and we were picking blueberries, then I heard a rusling not far away...20 feet?, and there was a bear sitting there, also picking blueberries. We looked at each other, then went back to picking..blueberries. Go figure!..and no where to go either. Looked up about 15 minutes later...... bear gone! Show no fear!
5. What is your favorite camp song or songs? Bonus points if you link to a recording or video.
Wow!! We sang a lot..at both camps. I love campfires and the singing is so full and rich. Land of the silver birch ...that's a good one. Also, How Great Thou Art. And many more.
PS I was at a camp north of here and we had a Sacred Fire the whole time. As we closed the Sacred Fire, after the Fire Keepers taught us at times throughout the conference...a lone eagle approached, the large bald eagle, flew lower and circled our gathering....then flew on its way. I haven't seen an eagle in decades.
I know this was a Conference, but we were at a camp, and this had to be the most spine tingling experience of the presence of my Creator...seen by all who stood there....in awe.
The Eagle flew on the Sunday before the Government of Canada gave their Apology for the Residential Schools. And the Moderator watched with us all...standing in awe and wonder.
What a postive sign!

1 Comments:
At 10:10 a.m.,
Mary Beth said…
That's a way cool story in the PS! Thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home