spiritual motion

Welcome... to a place to find poems, songs and hymns, prayers, ideas, thinking out loud, questions, and more. The spirit moves us to act and grow. Life on the edge is good! Stepping off the edge is..flying! ..... MAKE POVERTY HISTORY ....

Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday's Five


When and where were you baptized? Do you remember it? Know any interesting tidbits?
I was baptized in Toronto when I was two. No I don't remember, but my mother was afraid I might kick the Rector, since I was old enough to be afraid of strangers. I did not kick him.

What's the most unexpected thing you've ever witnessed at a baptism?
A small child watching became frightened at seeing the long white gown on the baby. And could be heard pleading to be told where the baby's legs were gone to. Someone finally told this little one that it was like a long dress and the baby's legs were under it.
....I have wondered how this child did remember this later in life.

Does your congregation have any special traditions surrounding baptisms?
Sometimes when there are brothers and sisters they take part as well. We give a lit candle with the initial on it as a sign of the Light.

Are you a godparent or baptismal sponsor? Have a story to tell?
Yes, a godmother. No story about this.


Do you have a favorite baptismal song or hymn?
Yes, "Crashing Waters at Creation" is one I really like.


A poem of baptism....


Going Under

The water rises above my head, as I go down,
I wonder if they watch me going, now gone.
The bubbles of my breath fade from above,
The water has closed itself around me, in love.

Was this what was felt by Jesus as he went under?
Gone are Earth's and this life's ties ~ torn asunder.
Cleansed of all things that make this world hard,
So he could offer his living as God's trump card.

Drowning to one's self, to the desires for thunder,
Breath is different upon rising up from being under.
The washing clean of stuff of angst, of hurt, of pain,
Now the healed rising of a fresh dawn, new life again.

Thus once more we rise with the Risen, alive to tell,
On the way a friend have life's water from the well.
God looks on wondering when we'll all come inside,
Open arms are waiting to embrace, come let us abide.

Each day renewed and brought before love's great heart,
Openly receive, in receiving, we go out as re-created art.
We need not fear, for all is changed in the going under,
Transformed to a new way of being, alive in love's wonder.


Free Flying Spirit . 2007


















2 Comments:

  • At 9:00 a.m., Blogger RevHRod said…

    Thank you for sharing your reflections and your poetry. I especially loved the "where are the legs" story.

     
  • At 2:13 p.m., Blogger Auntie Knickers said…

    Funny and lovely in one post -- good going!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home